MLA Format Research Paper Writing Guidelines For College Students
What is an MLA format exactly? Well, it’s likely that all college students will come across it at some point. MLA stands for Modern Language Association and it‘s a common format used in various academic papers. Below, you will find the basic guidelines for writing in the MLA format, but be sure to check whether there are any specific requirements for your particular one. Your teacher should have informed you if there are any additional requirements or deviations. If you’re unsure, just ask!
Here’s the MLA format writing guidelines for college students. Be sure to stick to the guidelines when it comes to writing your research paper!
- Usually, MLA format research papers don’t have a title page.
- They should be presented on 8.5 X 11 inch paper and use a 12 pt. font.
- Create 1 inch margins on all sides.
- Each paragraph’s first line should be indented half an inch from the left margin.
- Your text should be double spaced.
- After punctuation marks, you should leave one space.
- The pages should be numbered in the upper right hand corner. The numbers should be half an inch from the top and in line with the margin on the right.
- The MLA format uses in-text citations. These should state: the author of the cited work and the page number of where the information is.
Those are the basics, but you should make sure that you know all of the exact guidelines before you begin writing your paper. It is worth investing in a copy of The MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing (2008), third edition, which sets out the style required in detail.
You will of course be able to find the book in libraries as well- so if you can’t afford to buy it or you only need to use it briefly, it’s a good idea to study a library copy.
If further help is required, college students will find plenty of assistance online. Look on reliable educational websites and you should be able to find the exact requirements you need.
If you can’t find what you are after, then be sure to ask for help. Your course tutor is probably the best person to ask.
Don’t overlook how important it is to stick to the requirements! You may have written the greatest research paper in the world, but if you make simple mistakes regarding format and structure, it could cost you dearly in grades!
Hire a professional essay writer at this essay service - expert essay writing service.